We hope this resource list will be helpful, but it is not complete by no means. Please let us know If you know of a service we should add.
*If you would like to add your special needs service or resource, please send an email to email@example.com. We are always updating this guide, please feel free to download.
ABA - BEHAVIORAL THERAPY
- Behavioral Consulting of Tampa Bay - bcotb.com
- Bridging the Gap Therapy Solutions - https://btgtherapy.com/
- Engage Behavioral Health - engagebehavioralhealth.com; (877)350-5005
- Family Learning Solutions - familylearningsolution.com; (863)293-1744
- ABA Therapy Associates – abatherapyassociates.com; (800)981-5129
- Hot Docs - https://health.usf.edu/medicine/pediatrics/child_dev_neuro/hotdocs; (813) 974-1048.
- Step Beyond Development – https://stepbeyonddevelopment.com/; 727-643-7695; 1022 Main St. suite J, Dunedin, FL 34698.
Families expecting a child with Down syndrome may decide that making an adoption plan is the right choice for their family. The National Down Syndrome Adoption Network has a registry of families who are licensed to adopt and who want to adopt a child with Down syndrome. For more information visit https://www.ndsan.org/ or call 513-709-1751.
ADVOCACY & DISABILITY SERVICES
- Advocacy Center for Persons with Disabilities https://www.advocacycenter.org/
- Administration on Developmental Disabilities – acf.dhh.gov
- Council for Disability Rights – https://disabilityrights.org/
- Wrights Law – https://wrightslaw.com/
- AAPD – American Association of People with Disabilities https://www.aapd.com/
- AAIDD – American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities https://aaidd.org/
- Florida developmental Disabilities Council – https://www.fddc.org/
- Autism Speaks – https://www.autismspeaks.org/; 888-288-4762
- Autism Society of America – https://www.autism-society.org
- CARD Center for Autism & Related Disabilities at USF - (813) 974-4602 http://card-usf.fmhi.usf.edu/ The Center for Autism & Related Disabilities at USF is a community-based project that provides information and consultation to individuals diagnosed with autism spectrum disorders and related disabilities.
- Bakas Equestrian Center - https://www.bakasridingcenter.com; (813)246-3890
- Hold our Horses- Miniature Therapy Horses - http://www.holdourhorses.org/; (813) 767-6591
- Healing Horses One Child at a Time - https://www.healtinghorsesonechildatatime.com
- 4 Paws for Ability Service Dogs – https://www.4pawsforability.com
- Ability Medical Equipment - (813)620-4475; https://www.ability.com/
- Family Center on Technology and Disability – https://www.fctd.info/; FAAST faast.org (866) 732-8873 - Florida Alliance for Assistive Services 4202 E. Fowler Ave, Tampa FL 33620; Improve the quality of life for all Floridians with disabilities though awareness activities that increase access to and acquisition of assistive services and technology. Hands on assistive technology, demonstrations, and trainings. Assistive device lending programs at no charge.
ATTORNIES – SPECIAL NEEDS
- Hillsborough - Law offices of Laurie O’hall, P.A. - https://www.elderlaw.us/laurie-e-ohall/; (813)438-8503 Special Needs guardianship, estate planning.
- Pinellas - Hitchcock Law Group - https://www.com/; (727)223-3644 Special Needs guardianship, estate planning.
- Bay Area Legal Services - (800)625-2257 https://www.bals.org/; Legal services pro-bono.
- Community Law Program - (727)582-7402 https://firstname.lastname@example.org/
- AdvoCare Trust, Inc. - https://advocaretrust.org/; (727)791-3972 Provides lifelong guardianship and care for individuals whose parents have passed away.
- Affordable Legal Fees – https://affordablelegalfees.com/.
- Guardian Trust – https://guardianpooledtrust.org/
- Florida Guardian Ad Litem Program – https://galtampa.org/
- All Life Legal Karla Marie Carolan, P.A. - https://www.allifelegal.com/; (813)671-4300 10009 Park Place Ave., Riverview, FL. 33578. Special Needs guardianship and estate planning.
BEST STATES FOR LIVING WITH A DISABILITY WEBSITE
- Take A Break Tampa – https://www.takeabreatampa.com/ - (813)370-0785
- Nannies Who Care - http://nannieswhocare.com/
- Sittercity - https://www.sittercity.com/special-needs/fl/tampa/
- Babies with Down Syndrome: A New Parents’ Guide (book is available in English and Spanish).
- The Parent’s Guide to Down Syndrome: Advice, Information, Inspiration, and Support for Raising Your Child from Diagnosis through Adulthood.
- Summer Camp Sites – https://www.veryspecialcamps.com/
- Camp Boggy Creek – boggycreek.org; (352)483-4200; A year-round center for young people with chronic and life-threatening illnesses.
- Camp Idlewild of Florida – campidlewild.org; Land O’Lakes FL (813)
- Dream Oaks Camp – https://www.foundationfordreams.org - Bradenton, FL (941)746-5659.
- Quest’s Camp Thunderbird - email@example.com; (407)889-8088. Camp for persons with developmental disabilities in Apopka.
- Camp Redbird – St. Petersburg – https://www.stpeteparksrec.org/camp-redbird.html; (727)893-7899 for ages 6yrs to adults Azalea Recreation Center.
- Camp Sparks Parks & Recreations - (813)744-5978 https://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/en/residents/recreation-and-culture/kids/action-folder/register-for-camp-sparks.
- A Brighter Community – United Way supported preschool and family support with speech, OT and PT. 1613 N. Marion St. Tampa, Fl 33602; https://www.abrightercommunity.org/ (813)223-6830.
- Early Childhood Council of Hillsborough County Inclusion - https://www.elchc.org/ - (813)837-7753.
- A Better Life Adult Day Care – https://www.adultdaycaretampa.com (813)999-4945.
- High 5 - https://www.facebook.com/myhigh5/; (813)689-0908.
- Guardian Haven Academy – 3801 Corporex Park Dr. Tampa FL 33619, https://www.guardianhaven.com.
- K2 Escape - https://k2escape.org/; 1005 W Bloomingdale Ave, Brandon, FL 33511; 813-409-2849.
- MacDonald Training Center – https://macdonaldcenter.org
- Miracles in Motion - 1911 N HWY 301, Tampa, FL 33619; 813-932-0400
- Specially Fit Day Program – Mark Oliver (727)831-2829; Specialty Fit Farm - 2112 Martin Road, Dover – Mark – 727-831-2829; https://www.speciallyfitfoundation.com/ Dover, FL. Special Olympics Fitness classes each week at the BayCare Center in Valrico.
- Self-Reliance – https://www.self-reliance.org; (813)375-3965 8901 N. Armenia, Tampa FL 33604 Offers independent living skills, peer support.
- Sunrise Community, Inc. Petersburg – https://sunrisegroup.org
- Quest – https://www.questinc.org - Offers opportunities to learn, live, work, and play.
DAY PROGRAMS/SPORTS PINELLAS
- Goodwill Industries - 7601 Park Blvd Pinellas Park, FL 33781 firstname.lastname@example.org www.goodwill-suncoast.org.
- Project Free - Kim Costanzo 2825 Beach Blvd. Gulfport, FL 33707; 860-941-7587. email@example.com. Creative Clay Kerry Krisman - 1114 Central Ave St. Petersburg, FL 33705; firstname.lastname@example.org; www.creativeclay.org.
- Lindley College - 34776 US 19 N Palm Harbor, FL 34684; 813-997-4960; email@example.com; www.lindleyhabilitation.com.
- Tampa Bay ADT - Terry or Kendra - 1224 7th St. S, Safety Harbor, FL 34695; 727-451-0242, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Crossroads - Cheryl Race, 5989 Seminole Blvd.Seminole, FL 33772; 727-458-8453, email@example.com.
- Louise Graham Regeneration Center - 2301 Thrid Ave. S. St. Petersburg, FL 33712, 727-327-9444, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.louisegraham.org.
- The Giving Tree - Kelly Sullivan 111 South Belcher Rd. Clearwater, FL 33765, 727-474-7896. Kelly@givingtreellc.com, www.givingtreellc.com.
- Friends & Family Support- Sean MacVicar 5030 78th Ave. N. Pinellas Park, FL 33781; 727-545-9333, email@example.com.
- PARC - 3190 Tyrone Blvd. N. St. Petersburg, FL 33710; 727-541-6205; firstname.lastname@example.org; www.parc-fl.org.
- Red Apple School - 6640 Kentucky Ave, New Port Richey, FL 34653, 727.847.2555, email@example.com.
- AFIRE Supports for State - 727-638-4916 www.afirepinellas.org afire4DD@gmail.com.
- Family Disability Achievement Center - 727-539-7550 www.disabilityachievementcenter.org.
- Family Care Council - 727-596-1032 Paujam7@aol.com.
- Family Network on Disabilities (FND) - Child to Adult independence 727-523-1130 www.fndusa.org firstname.lastname@example.org.
- FDLRS State funded learning resources 727-793-2723 www.fdlrs.org.
- MASH (Socialization for young Adults)727-789-5996 email@example.com; Clearwater 727-785-0112 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rising starz Theater Group Gulfport 561-701-0070 email@example.com
- Theater Exceptional - Largo bluebutterflyproductions.org
- Bakas Equestrian Center -813-264-3890 www.Bakasridingcenter.com info@Bakasridingcenter.com
- BASEBALL 727-441-9047 RJChallengerBB@gmail.com.
- Therapeutic Recreation - 727-793-2320 www.myclearwaterparks.com/programs/programs/therapeutic-recreation.
- Clearwater Aquatic Center - 727-462-6138 www.clearwater-fl.com
- Clearwater Sailing - 727-489-9468 www.sailabilitytampabay.org.
- Dunedin STARS Bowling - 727-596-3881 firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Freedom Sailing Camp of FL - 727-224-1726 email@example.com.
- Make a Difference Fishing Tournament - 727-449-9820 www.makeadifferencefishing.com firstname.lastname@example.org.
- My Therapeutic Recreation- 727-641-5778 email@example.com.
- Saddle up Riding Club -727-858-8991 firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Special Olympics Bowling- 727-596-3881 email@example.com
DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION
- FDLRS - Florida Diagnostic & Learning Resources System- https://www.fdlrs.org - The Florida Diagnostic & Learning Resources System is a discretionary project of the Florida Department of Education that provides diagnostic, instructional, and technology support services to district exceptional education programs and families of students with disabilities.
- Hillsborough County Schools ESE - https://www.hillsboroughschools.org/Page/6212; The Exceptional Student Education (ESE) Department provides support and services to students with disabilities (SWD) who are eligible for special education services. Hillsborough County Public Schools serve over 30,000 students with disabilities, ages birth through 21.
- Pinellas County Schools ESE - https://www.pcsb.org/ese; ESE students are assigned a classroom teacher and case manager. Your child’s classroom teacher can give you the name of your child’s case manager if needed. The case manager can provide information regarding your child’s IEP, services providers, and progress, as well as assist the IEP team in monitoring student progress.
- ARC of Florida - (813)369-9743; firstname.lastname@example.org. *Please only submit one complete application per person.
- Children’s Dentistry of Tampa – drgreg-childrensdentistry.com
- Florida KidCare – https://www.floridakidcare.org/; (888)540-5437 birth to 18yrs Medicaid.
- Frank Sierra DMD, PA - 6323 Memorial Hwy, Tampa 33615 sierradmd.com.
- The Humanitarian Foundation - (614) 933-0711- hfgrotto.org; Covers the costs of dental treatment including hospital and anesthesia costs for all special needs children.
- FL Dental Association Guide to Dentists – floridadental.org/public/find-a-dentist
- TLC Pediatric Dentistry 6532 Gunn Hwy, Tampa FL 33625 tlc4kidz.com; (813)969-0999.
- Medicaid Dental Clinics – Palm River 813-349-7845, Dover Dental 813-349-7735, Plant City 813-349-7635.
DISABILITY VACATION SERVICES
- ADVENTURES BY JAMIE - https://adventuresbyjamie.com/; (239) 297-6691; Jamie looks forward to helping you plan the adventure of your dreams.
- Buddy Cruise Inc. – https://buddycruise.org/
- (877)-239-2789; Serves families and friends of individuals with Down syndrome and developmental delay. We are a 501c3 nonprofit charity. It is our purpose to provide education and promote public awareness by arranging and conducting special events, namely cruises.
- American Disability Association: www.americandisabilityassociation.org/has-your-child-with-special-needs-been
- Wright's Law - https://www.wrightslaw.com/
DME – DURABLE MEDICAL EQUIPMENT/SUPPLIES/LOANERS
- 180 Medical - 180medical.com
- ActivStyle - https://www.activstyle.com/.
- Wheelchair 4 Kids – wheelchairs4kids.org; (727)946-0963
- Medical Equipment Loan Closet - LAPORTEFARMS.COM https://www.laportefarms.com/medicalcloset
- COM - Equipment Loan Closet https://www.easterseals.com/necfl/
FINANCIAL PLANNING/LIFE INSURANCE
- Edward Jones – Hunter Pflueger (813)661-7125 https://www.edwardjones.com/us-en/financial-advisor/hunter-pflueger.
- ABLE United - Website: http://www.ableunited.com/; Phone Number: 1-888-524-ABLE (2253); The Achieving a Better Life Experience (ABLE) Act allows individuals with unique abilities and their family and friends to save for future expenses, like Roth IRA and 529 college savings plans, while maintaining government benefits.
FITNESS/PHYSICAL THERAPY SERVICES
- Adaptive Sports – HCFLGOV.net/Parks; (813)635-8179; This program promotes health, independence, and personal growth through sports for people with physical disabilities. Brandon – 502 E. Sadie, Brandon, FL 33510.
- Buddy Baseball – buddybaseball.org; (813)416-5742; A non-competitive recreational league serving the Tampa Bay community for boys and girls ages 8 to 22 with special needs. Each player is paired with a buddy to assist the player as needed on the field and in the dugout.
- Buddy up for Life - https://www.buddyupforlife.org/ - A baseball program designed for the needs of Children & Adults that live with physical or mental disabilities.
- Challenger Baseball - https://clearwaterchallengerlittleleague.com/ (727)642-4268A baseball program designed for the needs of Children & Adults that live with physical or mental disabilities, ages 4yrs to adult.
- ME & U Abilities Academy - meanduabilitiesacademy.com – (727)643-8794. Join Tina Tallman as she builds a community-based children’s fitness academy to help all children become fit through music, dance, and laughter. www.meandusfitnessacademy.com.
- Jewish Community Centers - jewishtampa.com - (813)264-9000; Tampa JCCs and Federation on the Maureen and Douglas Cohn Campus 13009 Community Campus Drive Tampa, FL.
- Specially Fit - Specially Fit Foundation is a nonprofit organization intends to bring inclusion in the Special Needs community with exercise/sports. We provide Free Group Fitness classes for individuals with developmental disabilities. These classes are for anybody we have certified coaches that help assist in the process. We also help prepare everyone to participate in the Special Olympics. https://www.speciallyfitfoundation.com, (727)831-2829.
- Special Olympics - https://www.specialolympicsflorida.org/ (352)243-9536; Special Olympics provides year-round sports training and competition to children and adults 8 years of age and older with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Cost is free, need a doctor’s clearance on physical exam, sometimes provided free of charge.
- Tennis for Fun - http://tennisforfun.org/contact/; (813)546-8008; A free tennis clinic for athletes of all ages that are intellectually handicapped, especially those with Down Syndrome, but other special needs athletes who qualify for Special Olympics are also welcome to join the program.
- Top Soccer - email@example.com (813)657-5271 A community-based training program for all athletes with intellectual, emotional, and or physical disabilities. The program strives to provide soccer opportunities (the opportunity of soccer) for players to develop at their own pace in a safe, fun, and supportive/inclusive environment.
- We Rock the Spectrum – werockthespectrumclearwater.com; A full inclusion indoor play space for all kids! Open play, classes, birthday parties in Brandon and Largo FL.
- Integrated Genetics - https://www.integratedgenetics.com/ - Offers a continuum of care in reproductive genetic testing from screening to diagnosis testing services.
- The USF Regional Genetics and Metabolism - https://health.usf.edu/medicine/pediatrics/genetics (813) 259-8772; 2 Tampa General Circle, 5th Floor 5053B Tampa, FL 33606. Established in 1977 to provide comprehensive medical management to individuals and families with a genetic condition. This includes an initial evaluation and examination, genetic testing as appropriate, genetic counseling and follow up as appropriate.
GOVERNMENT AGENCIES FOR DISABILITY SERVICES
- 211 Association - 211.org (727)210-4233. Free informational and referral services to connect with health and human service programs, food, housing, employment, health care and more.
- American Disabilities Act National Network – https://adata.org/national-network; Provides information, guidance and training on how to implement the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) in order to support the mission of the ADA to “assure equality of opportunity, full participation, independent living, and economic self-sufficiency for individuals with disabilities.
- Agency for Persons with Disabilities (APD) Suncoast Region - apd.myflorida.com; (Hillsborough, Pinellas, Pasco); (813)233-4302, 1313 N. Tampa St. #515 Tampa FL 33602; Aids in identifying the needs of people with developmental disabilities for supports and services. Provides private providers to assist people with special needs.
- Bay Area Early Steps - https://health.usf.edu/medicine/pediatrics/early-steps; 3813-558-1343. Early Steps is Florida's early intervention system that offers services to eligible infants and toddlers, age birth to 36 months, who have or are at-risk for developmental disabilities or delays. Early intervention supports families and caregivers to increase their child’s participation in daily activities and routines that are important to the family.
- Beds for Babies - http://healthystartpinellas.org/beds-for-babies/; (727)512-3740.
- Bright Expectations - Bright Expectations is Florida’s site dedicated to helping our residents with unique abilities find support, resources, and inspiration. Website: http://www.floridahealth.gov/programs-and-services/people-with-disabilities/bright-expectations/index.html; (850)245-4465
- Center for Autism & Related Disabilities (CARD) - The Center for Autism & Related Disabilities (CARD), a statewide organization that provides support and assistance with the goal of optimizing the potential of people with autism and related disabilities. http://florida-card.org/.
- CDC Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/disabilityandhealth/dhds/overview.html; Disability and Health Data System (DHDS) is an online source of state-level data on adults with disabilities. Users can access information on six functional disability types.
- Children's Medical Services - (727) 469-5800 floridahealth.gov; A collection of special programs for eligible children with special needs. We have a variety of services for expecting moms, newborn babies, infants and toddlers, school-aged children, adolescents, and young adults. All our services are provided by highly qualified physicians.
- Children’s Medical Services - cms-kids.com; Provides medical, primary care, therapeutic services, and long-term care for children with special health needs. Medicaid children under the age of 21yrs.
- Department of Children & Families (DCF) - myflfamilies.com/service-programs/access-florida-food-medical-assistance-cash. 9393 North Florida Avenue, Tampa Florida 33612 Phone Number: 813-558-5500. Contact for cash assistance, food stamps, medical assistance.
- The Early Learning Coalistion of Hillsborough County facilitates two main programs, which are funded through the Florida Office of Early Learning. Voluntary Prekindergarten (VPK) is an early learning program available to 4-year-old Florida children, regardless of family income. It is free to parents. School Readiness is the second program; it reimburses child care providers who contract with the Early Learning Coalition for children it enrolls in the program. Parents can apply for School Readiness financial assistance, but eligibility is restrictive. A parent must be working but earning at a level that is 150% or less below the poverty line; be enrolled in school at the high school or secondary level; or be receiving disability assistance. Parents still pay a reduced co-payment at most facilities. Within the School Readiness program, Early Learning Coaltions are required to priorize funding to ensure at-risk populations are receiving assistance to increase their chances of success. Voluntary Prekindergarten Program (VPK) VPK was implemented in 2002 to give all of Florida’s 4-year-olds access to a quality prekindergarten experience. VPK is designed for children entering kindergarten through school-year program.
- Florida Alliance for Assistive Services and Technology (FAAST) - FAAST serves Floridians with disabilities by providing free access to information, referral services, educational programs, and publications in accessible formats on topics such as disability rights, laws, and policies. We also provide assistive technology (AT) device loans as well as funding opportunities for AT. https://faast.org/.
- Family Café – familycafe.net; 1-888-309-CAFÉ (2233) The Annual Family Café has brought Floridians with all types of disabilities together for three days of information, training, and networking each June. With a great range of individual breakout sessions, a packed Exhibit Hall with dozens of vendors, and a series of special events including Keynote speakers and The Governors’ Summit on Disabilities.
- Family Network on Disabilities (FND) - A national network of individuals of all ages who may be at-risk, have disabilities, or have special needs and their families, professionals, and concerned citizens. The mission of FND is to strive for the complete integration and equality of persons with disabilities in a society without barriers and to serve families of children with disabilities, ages birth through 26, who have the full range of disabilities described in section 602(3) of IDEA. FND is a parent organization as defined in section 671(a)(2) of IDEA 2004. https://fndusa.org/.
- Family Health Line - http://www.floridahealth.gov/programs-and-services/womens-health/pregnancy/family-health-line.html; (800)451-2229 The Family Health Line is a statewide free hotline offering counseling information and referrals about pregnancy, infant and toddler issues. Answering basic questions about pregnancy, breastfeeding, childbirth education and other pregnancy-related concerns.
- Florida Developmental Disabilities Council (FDDC) - This service was established to help plan individual and family-centered supports for persons with disabilities in Florida. The Council also guides the development and administration of services for people with developmental disabilities by planning and funding research, innovations, and programs designed to improve the quality of their lives. https://www.fddc.org/.
- FDLRS Florida Diagnostic and Learning Resource System http://www.fdlrs.org/; Provides diagnostic, instructional, and technology support services to district exceptional education programs and families of students with disabilities.
- Florida Early Steps - http://www.cms-kids.com/families/early_steps/early_steps.html; (800) 218-0001. Provides information and referral services to families of children with disabilities and special health care needs. Resource specialists provide answers and/or possible choices of services within your community, education on disability related services and provides advocacy roles for families. For more information or to make a referral to Early Steps.
- Florida KidCare – https://www.floridakidcare.org/ 1-888-540-5437; Insurance for kids 1-18yrs not eligible for Medicaid. No deductibles.
- Head Start - healthystartcoalition.org; (850)922-3936; Assists children with all types of disabilities including but not limited to those with developmental, hearing, language, and visual disabilities as well as emotional, medical, mental, and social needs. Enrolled children with special needs are provided with Individualized Education Plans (IEP) and/or Individual Family Support Plans (IFSP).
- Healthy Start - http://healthystartflorida.com/; 850-999-6200 Promotes healthy pregnancies, babies, and families by providing services and facilitating access to resources through community partnerships while advancing racial equity and cultural responsiveness.
- Help Me Grow - https://www.helpmegrowfl.org/; Promote healthy development for every child in our state. Help Me Grow is designed to address the need for early identification of developmental and/or behavioral concerns, and then to link children and their families to community-based developmental and behavioral services and supports.
- KINSHIP CARE - https://www.fectampa.org/programs-services/kinship-care-program; Support for relative caregivers such as therapy, respite, tutoring, etc. (727)785-2762.
- HOUSING - Owner Occupied Rehab Program is designed to help maintain decent, safe and affordable housing for Tampa’s low/moderate-income families. The program helps homeowners, who are financially unable to make the necessary repairs, bring their homes into compliance with the City’s Florida Building Code and Housing Quality Standards. Eligible repairs include.
- Medicaid HCBS Waiver through iBudget Florida: Applying for Services | Customers (myflorida.com); Application iBudget Florida | APD - Agency for Persons with Disabilities - State of Florida; (myflorida.com); https://ahca.myflorida.com/medicaid/hcbs_waivers/ibudget.shtml; May allow you to get medical care and other services at home or in a facility in your community. Services are eligible for persons with developmental disabilities living at home. Service groups include Life Skills, Supplies and Equipment, Personal Supports, Residential Services, Transportation, Adult Dental, Therapeutic Supports/Wellness, and Support Coordination.https://www. City of Tampa's Owner-Occupied Rehab | City of Tampa/
- MedWaiver - HCBS programs are sometimes called “waiver” programs because the state has gotten CMS to waive certain requirements of the Medicaid program. For example, a state must offer Medicaid services equally to all eligible people in the state regardless of their disabling condition. Under these rules a state couldn't run a Medicaid program that paid for prescriptions for physical conditions but not prescriptions for mental conditions. For information on how to apply for the iBudget Waiver contact the Agency for Persons with Disabilities (866)273-2273.
- Medicaid - https://applyformedicaid.org/medicaid-application/Medicaid; is the medical assistance program that provides access to health care for low-income families and individuals. Medicaid assists people with disabilities with the cost of nursing facility care and other medical and long-term care expenses.
- The National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities cdc.gov/ncbddd/index.html; 800-CDC-INFO (800-232-4636); Provides information about unique abilities, including descriptions, risk factors, signs, and symptoms; screenings and diagnosis; data and statistics; research and related articles.
- SOCIAL SECURITY DISABILITY APPLICATION - www.ssa.gov/applyfordisability/.
- Supplemental Nutrition Program (SNAP) myflorida.com/accessflorida/: Apply for the Supplemental Nutrition Program (SNAP), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), or Medicaid; Make changes or check the status of your benefits through the Self-Service Portal. Receive case information and answers to benefit questions by talking to DCF’s virtual assistant; and order an Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card, get information about EBT transactions, or report an EBT card as lost or stolen. DCF’s Statewide Customer Call Center is also available for customer questions, benefit interviews, and application assistance at 850-300-4323 (TTY 1-800-955-8771), Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. If you are an individual with a disability and need help with the application process or other ESS services, please find your regional point of contact listed on the following website: https://www.myflfamilies.com/service-programs/individual-with-disability/auxiliary-aids-plan.shtml.
- Angels Unaware – angelsunaware.com; has eight group homes servicing developmentally disabled of Tampa Bay.
- PARC - https://www.parc-fl.org/PARC; - Providing opportunities for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities - maintains two Medicaid Waiver group homes and two Intermediate Care Facilities for young teens and adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- Pinellas Life Group Homes Directory - Group Homes - https://www.pinellaslife.com/group-homes/.
- ResCare/BrightSpring - rescare.com; Provides trusted community living services that help individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities enjoy greater quality of life in their own home or in home-like environments.
- New Horizons Group Home – 813-571-2690; newhorizonshome.org; 109 E. Clay Ave. Brandon, FL 33510; Provides Group homes for adults with developmental disabilities.
- Ridgeland Group Home - ridgelandgrouphome.com; (813) 810-6257; Adult Day Training center in Brandon Florida. Ridgeland Group Home and its staff are dedicated people striving to provide clients the opportunity for a meaningful life through various supports needed to improve their quality of life.
- Sunrise Community of Hillsborough County - http://www.sunrisegroup.org/. Phone: (813) 830-7823; 2714 West Kirby Street Tampa, Florida 33614 firstname.lastname@example.org http://www.sunrisegroup.org. Group homes; Respite; adult training programs; Behavioral Analysis Services; Personal Assistance services; day services; and transportation.
- Oliver Estates & Specially Fit Farm Group Homes - https://www.speciallyfitfoundation.com/; Phone: 727-831-2829; provides animal therapy for individuals with disabilities, prevocational training, job opportunities, education, goat yoga, fitness classes and an adult day training program with daily activities for individuals with developmental disabilities. The farm is located on 7 acres of land at 2112 Martin Rd. in Dover.
- Quest Training and Group Home – https://www.questinc.org/residential-services; (813) 423.7700; 1404 Tech Blvd. Tampa, FL 33619; email@example.com; Quest provides a variety of residential living options for people with disabilities, including group homes, intermediate care facilities and transitional and support environments. job skills and gain meaningful employment through the Adult Day Training (ADT) and the Supported Employment programs.
- Community Health Centers of Pinellas - chpinellas.org.
- Florida Department of Health Pinellas – Pinellas.floridahealth.gov.
- Florida Department of Health - https://Hillsborough.floridahealth.gov.
- Kidcare - floridakidcare.org.
- The Kidz Club – https://www.thekidzclub.com; – daycare for medically fragile children.
- Maxim HealthCare Services Home Care - maximhomecare.com
- WIC Women, Infants, and Children’s Nutrition – oh.state.fl.us/family/wic
- Down syndrome Research Foundation – https://www.dsrf.org
- March of Dimes – https://www.marchofdime.com
- American Academy of Pediatrics - https://www.aap.org/; Health Supervision for Children and Adolescents with Down Syndrome.
HOME HEALTH SERVICE
- Ace HomeCare Services (813)333-6002; acehomecareflorida.com; - A Medicare certified Home Health Care agency.
- Home Care Association of FL – https://www.homecarefla.org/search/newsearch.asp.
- Nurse On Call Homecare – https://nurseoncallfl.com
- Noah’s Ark - https://noahsarkflorida.org/; (863) 687-0804 providing or facilitating choices of meaningful employment, recreational and social opportunities, and affordable housing in an inclusive community of their choice.
- One Kin Roof - onekinroof.org - Offers an inclusive neighborhood that represents the diversity in our society. Our vision is a living and learning neighborhood that values inclusion, belonging, and purpose for people of all backgrounds, abilities, and age groups. Imagine a neighborhood where everyone is supporting one another to live their best authentic life.
- Quest Village – questinc.org/quest-village; 813.423.7700: Quest Village is the ideal place to foster independence with its single-bedroom/single-bathroom apartments, complete with a porch, WI-FI capabilities, and all new appliances.
INDIVIDUALIZED EDUCATION PROGRAMS (IEP)
- IEP Advocate - theiepadvocate.com; (407)342-9836 - Has the resources and training to go into any IEP meeting or 504 Plan to help stand up for your child’s rights and negotiate to meet their needs.
- Florida Dept of Education – You can file a civil rights violation for failing to comply with IDEA. 325 West Gaines Street, Room 514, Tallahassee, Florida 32399. Phone: 850-245-0437; Fax: 850-245-9069; http://www.fldoe.org/accountability/accountability-reporting/
- Florida Special Education Law – https://flspedlaw.com/; Alison Allman, P.A. - provides educational and legal services out of the principal headquarters of Special Education Law and Advocacy in Tampa, Florida. (813)348-6314 2602 W. Cypress, Tampa 33609.
- Florida Special Education Law Advocates - https://flspedlaw.com/; 409 S. Delaware, Tampa 33606 http://www.florida-advocate.com/ (512) 784-2480.
- FDLRS Parent Liaison Program - https://www.fdlrs.org/parent-services; Sandy Santeiro – IEP Coach & Education Advocate – 813-785-9101 https://m.facebook.com/sandysanteiro.iep.
- Pathways Special Education Advocacy - https://pathwayssea.org/; Our advocacy and consultation services are available to parents who want to help their children with disabilities have a more successful learning experience. (813)447-9831 Tampa
- School to work Transitions rehabworks.org.
- Artistas Café - http://www.artistascafe.com/; (813) 251-2787. Develop people with Autism's "Uniqability" so they can live, work, and play in our inclusive communities. Artistas Café is a Pathway of Employment for students of Autism Shifts. We’ve created this Mobile Cafe so that our students and others can integrate the Autistic Community with Tampa Bay and its surrounding areas. Book us for an event and meet the Artistas at https://artistascafe.com/book.
- Vocational Rehabilitation Florida Department of Education 1313 North Tampa Street, Suite 801 Tampa, FL 33602 Phone: (813) 233-3600 Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) is a federal-state program that helps people who have physical or mental disabilities get or keep a job. VR is committed to helping people with disabilities find meaningful careers.
- Goodwill Industries - 727-523-1512/888-279-1988 The mission is accomplished through employment services, training programs and affordable housing. Headquartered in St. Petersburg, we provide services to people in 10 counties – Pinellas, Pasco, Hillsborough, Polk, Hernando, Marion, Citrus, Sumter, Levy and Highlands counties.
- McDonalds Training MTC - (813) 870-1300; https://macdonaldcenter.org/contact/ 5420 W. Cypress St. Tampa FL 33607; 3901 Coconut Palm Dr. Tampa FL 33619. Primary areas of service include educational, vocational, and residential supports for persons with disabilities. MTC day services includes vocational skills training and life enrichment activities from computer lab and fine arts instruction to recreational outreaches for people with developmental disabilities.
- The Arc Tampa Bay - https://www.thearctb.org/; (727)799-3330; 1501 N. Belcher Road, Suite 249 Clearwater, FL 33765 Phone: The Arc Tampa Bay has a long history of advocacy efforts in support of our mission. As a service provider for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities for 58 years, The Arc Tampa Bay has been a key affiliate member of The Arc of Florida.
- Parent Support Center - (727) 523-1130 2196, http://fndusa.org/contact-us/programs/psn/; Main Street, Suite L, Dunedin FL 34698; This program, funded by the U.S. Department of Education, Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP), is the Parent Training Information (PTI) center for the West Florida. Help to ensure that parents of children with the full range of disabilities have the training and information they need to prepare their children for not only school, but to be able to lead productive, independent lives.
- Self-Reliance Center for Independent Living self-reliance.org; (813)375-3965; Advocacy, Peer Support & Mentoring, Independent Living Skills Training, Additional services: Durable Medical Equipment Program, Information & Referral, Transition Services. Service Source servicesource.org; Provides job training and placement to individuals with disabilities & housing support programs. 2735 Whitney Rd. Clearwater, FL (727)538-7370.
- Gulf Coast Autism Association gulfcoastautism.org; (727)786-4292.
- Bailey Psychology Group - https://www.baileypsychologygroup.com/; (813)720-7411; Provides full individual and group therapy, assessment, and support group services.
- Behavioral Consulting of Tampa Bay - https://bcotb.com/; (813) 440-4933 Our Board-Certified Behavior Analysts have more than 20 combined years of experience working with children with autism as well as a variety of developmental disabilities.
- Louis dela Parte Florida Mental Health Institute at USF CARD https://www.usf.edu/cbcs/fmhi/; (813)974-2295. Provides information and consultation to those diagnosed with autism or related disabilities.
- Down Syndrome & Mental Health- http://www.dsrf.org/media/321-Winter2022.pdf.
PARKS & RECREATION SERVICES
- Hillsborough County Parks & Recreation – After School and Summer Programs; Ages 5-22yrs hillsboroughcounty.org/en/government/deparments/parks.
- Largo Parks and Recreation - http://www.largo.com/department/index.php?structureid=22
- Highland Recreation Complex Manager: Chip Potts, 400 Highland Ave Largo, Florida 33770; Phone # 727-518-3016.
SPECIAL NEEDS ORGANIZATIONS
- American Association of People with Disabilities – https://aapd.com; As a national cross-disability rights organization, AAPD advocates for full civil rights for the over 60 million Americans with disabilities by promoting equal opportunity, economic power, independent living, and political participation.
- CARD Center for Autism & Related Disabilities at USF http://card-usf.fmhi.usf.edu/. A community-based project that provides information and consultation to individuals diagnosed with autism spectrum disorders and related disabilities.
- Cerebral Palsy Guide https://www.cerebralpalsyguide.com.
- Family Network on Disabilities fndfl.org; (727)523-1130.
- Family Care Council – fccflorida.org
- Florida’s Voice on Developmental Disabilities - (954) 975-5159; Floridasvoice.org; A statewide independent advocacy and networking non-profit organization comprised of families and friends of persons with developmental disabilities. Our organization advocates a full array of services in the most cost-effective manner possible - community programs, family home care, group homes, and larger centers (over six beds) for only the most severely developmentally disabled. Cost: $25 family membership fee; $15 for those with financial hardships.
- F.R.I.E.N.D.S. Down Syndrome Special Needs West Fl. www.friendssupport.org; (813)245-2782. We provide year-round programing, family support meetings, Playgroups, Adult dances, Community education, and Fun social activities for our special needs community. Check our website calendar and Facebook Events.
- Easter Seals – https://www.easterseals.com/florida/; Offers Childcare, Early Intervention, Child development centers, Speech, PT, OT, Adult Day Services to all disabilities ages birth to school age. Cost: Florida child scholarships; private tuition; Medicaid/Medicare.
- GIGI'S Playhouse - 3611 Hillsborough Tampa, (813)544-8000; www.gigisplayhouse.org
- Global Down Syndrome Foundation - globaldownsyndrome.org/; a public non-profit 501(c)(3) dedicated to significantly improving the lives of people with Down syndrome through Research, Medical Care, Education and Advocacy.
- HUG – Help Us Gather – helpusgather.org: (727)489-5885 Provides a community calendar of events for people with special needs, hosts gatherings and outings, organizes HUG Ambassadors and volunteers to excite others about the beauty of inclusion, and represents a positive image for people with disabilities at community events.
- National Down Syndrome Adoption Network – ndsan.org; Helps you navigate the adoption process, from how to get started, to finalizing your adoption.
- National Down Syndrome Congress – ndsccenter.org; Provides individuals, families, and health care providers information and support about Down syndrome, as well as advocating with and on behalf of individuals with Down syndrome.
- National Down Syndrome Society – ndss.org; Offers support to people with Down syndrome, educates the public, is the leading human rights organization for all individuals with Down Syndrome.
- VSA Arts of Florida - http://www.vsafl.org - Brings the arts into the lives of people with disabilities.
- Autism Early Intervention Clinics - https://autismclinics.com.
- National Ataxia Foundation - https://ataxia.org.
- Spec 4 Us - https://specs4us.com.
- Bright Eyes Family Vision – https://brighteyestampa.com; (813)358-0400
- Baby Signs by Lisa Fields – Sign language workshops https://lisafieldschildcare.weebly.com/.
- All About Kids Therapy - birth to 3yrs Speech therapy https://allaboutkidstherapy.com; (813)461-7432
- Cued Speech - cuedspeech.usf.edu.
SPECIAL NEEDS RETREATS
- Deliver the Dream – https://deliverthedream.org; Free family retreats for all disabilities.
- Sunshine Foundation Dream Villages Florida@sunshinefoundation.org
- Alzheimer’s/Down Syndrome Family Advocate firstname.lastname@example.org; (727)543-4174, Jadene S. Ransdell
- F.R.I.E.N.D.S. – Down Syndrome/Special needs support group meetings and potlucks; www.friendssupport.org; Contact – email@example.com, (813)245-2782.
- All About you Support Services – https://aboutyousupports.com
- Support Coordinators – https://supportcoordinators.com; for those on the Florida Medicaid waiver program you will receive a Support Coordinator to assist with services available on the waiver.
- AAA SCHOLARSHIP FOUNDATION - Website: http://www.aaascholarships.org/schools/Florida/ ; Phone: 1-888-707-2465; The AAA Scholarship Foundation helps administer two scholarship programs in Florida. The first is an income-based scholarship and the second is the Gardiner Scholarship (formerly known as the Personal Learning Scholarship Account or PLSA Scholarship). The AAA Scholarship Foundation is an approved scholarship funding organization for the State of Florida.
- The Florida Center for Students with Unique Abilities - Website: http://fcsua.org/ ;Phone Number: 407-823-5225. provides support to students, families, and institutions of higher education so that students with intellectual disabilities have opportunities for on-campus college experiences that lead to employment opportunities.
- Bureau of Exceptional Education and Student Services – fldoe.org.
- Career Education for students with special needs – myfloridaeducation.com.
- FL Department of Education - Website: http://www.fldoe.org/schools/school-choice/k-12-scholarship-programs/; Phone Number: 1-800-447-1636. Florida provides a variety of school choice options, including four scholarship programs. These programs allow parents’ choice among public and private schools.
- Step Up for Students https://www.stepupforstudents.org/for-parents/; Phone: 1-877-735-7837. Helps administer two scholarship opportunities for Florida school children: the Florida Tax Credit Scholarship for low-income families and the Gardiner Scholarship for children with certain special needs. These scholarships are offered as options in the same way that public education is offering an expanding array of choices. Step Up for Students is an approved scholarship funding organization for the state of Florida.
- Parent Involvement – Exceptional Education in Florida; HTTP://FORPARENTS.FLORIDA-ESE.ORG/INDEX.ASPx
- Florida Department of Education: Autism Spectrum Disorder HTTP://WWW.FLDOE.ORG/ACADEMICS/EXCEPTIONAL-STUDENT-EDU/ESE-ELIGIBILITY/AUTISM-SPECTRUM-DISORDER-ASD.STML.
- Florida Health: Down Syndrome Resources http://www.floridahealth.gov/programs-and-services/people-with-disabilities/bright-expectations/conditions/down-syndrome.html.
- Pinellas County - The ESE Resource Connection is a resource that provides families and persons with disabilities specific resource information, community events and opportunities. This webpage is located on the Pinellas County School Exceptional Student Education site at http://www.pcsb.org/Page/16045.
- Center Academy - https://centeracademy.com/ ; 727-541-5716. Provides students with a learning environment that facilitates the development of self-confidence, motivation, and academic skills, and gives students the opportunity to achieve success in life.
- Morning Star School - http://morningstarschool.org/; A K-12th grade school where students grow, learn, and develop their potential academically, socially, and spiritually.
- Paul B. Stephens School - https://www.pcsb.org/stephens (727)725-7982 Clearwater.
- Focus Academy - focusacademyflorida.org firstname.lastname@example.org (813) 433-5558 The curriculum at Focus Academy is structured with dual purposes: academic achievement and social success. Many students are scholastically capable but are hindered by struggles in dealing with peers.
- Morning Star Academy – https://www.morningstartampa.org/ A mission of the Catholic Diocese. Children with special needs who have learning disabilities and developmental delays. 210 E Linebaugh Ave, Tampa, FL 33612; Phone: (813) 935-0232 or 4661 80th Ave. North, Pinellas Park FL 33781 (727)544-6036.
- Livingstone Academy - 813-661-4200 livingstoneschools.org- is an independent, non-profit, Private School that specializes in serving the unique needs of children with learning disabilities; (813)404-1598.
- Pepin Academy – 813-236-1755; https://www.pepinacademies.com/; Serves students between 3rd and 12th grade, and young adults 18 to 22 with specific learning disabilities. 3916 East Hillsborough Avenue, Tampa, FL 33610.
SPECIAL NEEDS SCHOOLS FLORIDA DIRECTORY - For a list of special needs schools in your area log onto: http://www.privateschoolreview.com/florida/special-education-private-schools.
Best Buddies Tampa - 200 South Hoover Boulevard, Suite 191 Tampa, FL 33609; https://email@example.com ; Phone: 813.254.9025; Services One to one friendships with a nondisabled peer for one year; activities for pairs and groups; Programs for middle, high school, college, citizens, and jobs.
SPECIAL NEEDS MINISTRIES
Idlewild Baptist Church – https://www.idlewild.org/specialneeds (813)264-8773; Van Dyke Church Special Needs Ministry - 17030 Lakeshore Rd., Lutz, FL 33558; https://www.vandyke.org/; Embrace Special Needs Respite Care firstname.lastname@example.org 813-968-3983 x 156.
- Pediatric Therapy Services https://ptsbeyourbest.com; PT, OT, Speech & Feeding Therapy
- Superior Therapy Services https://superiortherapyservices.com/.
- FL Commission for the Transportation Disadvantaged https://ctd.fdot.gov; To insure the availability of efficient, cost-effective, and quality transportation services for transportation disadvantaged persons.
- Sunshine Line Transportation - 813-272-7272; https://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/en/government/departments/sunshine-line; Provides door-to-door transportation and bus passes for elderly, low-income, and disabled persons who do not have or cannot afford their own transportation. Transportation is provided primarily to medical appointments and Aging Services day care and nutrition sites.
- PSTA - 3201 Scherer Drive St. Petersburg, FL 33716 https://www.psta.net/programs/accessibility/; Phone: 727-540-1800; Info Line: 727-540-1900 Email: email@example.com.
- Agencies Federal Transportation Administration - 601 E. Kennedy Blvd, 18th floor, Tampa, FL 33602. Call: 813-272-5940 ext: 317. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- TSA - 855-787-2227; https://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/files/disability_notification_card_508.pdf/; The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has a toll-free helpline designed to assist travelers with disabilities and medical conditions, prior to getting to the airport. It is available Monday through Friday 9am–9pm EST, excluding federal holidays, with questions about screening policies, procedures and what to expect at the security checkpoint.
- Transportation Disadvantaged Service: (Pinellas: 727-540-1900, Hillsborough: (813) 272-7272, Pasco: (727) 834-3322.
VISION/SPECIAL NEEDS GLASSES
- Tampa Lighthouse for the Blind and Low Vision - Maximizing independence and providing employment opportunities – https://www.lighthouseblv.org/.
- National Federation for the Bling - Miranda Kilby, President of the National Federation of the Blind, Tampa Chapter National Federation of the Blind – https://www.nfbflorida.org/;
- NVISION Eye Centers https://www.nvisioncenters.com/childrens-eye-health/down-syndrome/.